June 10, 2008

abstract mountain scene

When I did the painting I posted yesterday, I was just playing with tube colors to see what the outcome would be, knowing that it would negate the depth to have pure tube color in the background. I was thinking about Emily Carr's gorgeous paintings where she used brilliant tube colors in a landscape and the effect was so stunning.

Today's painting was intended to be much more abstract - to just give the impression of a mountain landscape without clearly defining each tree and rock. The colors are more muted, and there is a much better impression of depth, but it is still not as abstract as I was going for at first. It seems to be all or nothing for me - totally color field abstract, or representational. Ah well, it is a pretty little painting even if it didn't turn out like I envisioned.

No comments: