February 26, 2008

Learning to paint

I subscribe to the Sixty Minute Artist (http://sixtyminuteartist.blogspot.com/) and get a very valuable art lesson delivered to me fairly regularly. Jerry is currently writing about how to find and mix the correct color for a painting. I find it rather amusing that I hated doing the color mixing assignments when I was in school, but now I recognize the need to do them, and the need to focus my attention while doing them. After all, it is only through complete and undevided attention that the lesson can truly be learned, and by repetition that it can be internalized and become automatic. I hated those assignments when I was in school.

I also love his techniques, and often try to copy his paintings. I never succeed, even when I just try to replicate his little studies.

No comments: