March 2, 2008

Distracted by Shiny Objects

I recently met someone who described me as being a Crow person, and he suggested that the Crow was my totem animal. After doing a bit more research, I think he was quite insightful, and spot on. A crow is curious. About everything. They can get easily sidetracked from their purpose by shiny objects (or shiny ideas). Crows are farseeing, and warn other animals of impending danger. They are also quite playful. People who have a crow as their totem animal are much like the crow.

I know a lot of people don't like them, but I like crows. They make an awful lot of noise, and their normal cawing is quite grating. They are also one of the most intelligent birds. They can make an incredible range of different calls, and sometimes they seem to be just playing with new sounds for the fun of it.

The crow has a bad reputation, so at first I was a bit insulted about being compared to a crow (particularly at my age!). However, there are lots of good things about being a crow person or having a crow totem. I was most particularly intrigued by the curiousity aspect, because that is so descriptive, and much moreso than the concept of a Renaissance Soul. During the Renaissance, it was fashionable to develop a level of expertise in variety of different fields (key word fashionable). Crow people are just so curious that they can't help themselves.

I can't imagine how boring life would be if I didn't have at least three totally distinct activities going at any given time. I guess that driving curiousity interferes a bit with my creativity time, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments: