March 2, 2008

encaustic

As I mentioned a few posts ago, I keep my table set up with little stations where I can do different types of creative activities. Although I have a number of things in the works, I end up doing encaustic more often than not, because it is quite easy to just do a little bit at a time.

This one started out as a collage, and I didn't like where it was going and couldn't figure out how to rescue it, so I wiped most of it off and started again. Now it is just a simple little landscape.

Simple is perhaps not a very good descriptor, though. I have a lot of difficulty getting the wax to stay on the surface when it is hot, and I spend quite a bit of time making sure that the wood doesn't show through from underneath. Sometimes the wood grain is nice to see, and adds to the picture, but it is difficult to control when and where it shows.

No comments: